Freefrom Wholemeal Rice Soup with Smoked Salmon
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A lovely simple winter soup – the rice tastes just like pearl barley – but is, of course, gluten free. It is delicious without the fish, as a vegetarian soup – more substantial and a little different with the hot smoked salmon.
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large leeks, finely sliced
- 150g / 5 oz wholegrain rice
- 2.5 litres / 85fl oz vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g / 9 oz hot smoked salmon, flaked
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the leek.
- Reduce the heat very low, cover and sweat for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir around so that the grains get coated with the oil, then add the stock.
- Bring slowly to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook very gently for 2-3 hours.
- The rice will gradually release all of its starch and the soup with become thick and luscious.
- Season to taste and add the salmon if you are using it.
Serves 6 generously – per portion
14g Fat (2g Sat fat, 9g mono, 1.6g poly)
25g Carbohydrate of which 4g Sugar
3g Fibre, 993mg Sodium, 2.5g salt
Good Source: B12, B6
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: