Freefrom Spinach, Parsnip and Coconut Milk Soup
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Coconut is not usually regarded as a nut for allergy purposes although an increasing number of people are now becoming allergic to coconuts. The coconut milk gives this soup a lovely silky texture but it is still delicious if you use olive oil and a different milk.
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, finely chopped
- 300g / 11 oz parsnips, scrubbed and sliced thickly
- 300g / 11oz spinach – ideally mature leaves rather than baby leaves as they have a better flavour
- 400ml / 14fl oz coconut milk (use an alternative milk if you are coconut allergic)
- 800ml /
28fl oz water
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chive flowers or chopped chive leaves to decorate
- Heat the coconut or olive oil in a large pan and add the leeks.
- Fry gently for 5–10 minutes or until they are quite soft.
- Add the parsnips, spinach, coconut milk and water.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the parsnips are cooked.
- Purée in
a food processor then return to the pan and season to taste.
- Reheat and decorate with chives to serve.
Serves 6 – per portion:
16g Fat ( 13.5g Sat fat, 0.5g mono, 0.5g poly)
11g Carbohydrate of which 7g Sugar
5.5g Fibre, 76mg Sodium, 0.19g salt
Good Source: B6, Folate
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: