Michelle's Freefrom Braised Beetroot with Basmati Rice
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 8 smallish beetroots (beets), scrubbed, topped and tailed and quartered
- ½ a medium red cabbage, very finely sliced
- 150ml / 5fl oz gluten/wheat-free vegetable stock
- sea and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium leeks, finely sliced
- 450g / 1lb Basmati rice
- 1 litre / 34fl oz gluten/wheat-free vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy pan and add the onions.
- Cook gently for 5–10 minutes or until they are beginning to soften.
- Add the beetroot, cabbage and stock, cover the pan and simmer gently for 20–25 minutes or until the beets are cooked but the cabbage still retains some crunch.
- Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, in another pan heat the remaining oil and gently cook the leeks until they are quite soft.
- Add the rice, stir well and then add the stock.
- Cook briskly until the stock is absorbed and the rice cooked.
- Add extra stock if necessary. Season to taste.
- Serve with the beetroot mixture piled in the middle of the rice.
Serves 6 – per portion
444cals – 49g protein
12g total fat – 1.5g sat / 8g mono / 1.5g poly
74g carbohydrate of which 11.5g sugar
5g fibre – 151mg sodium / 0.38g salt
Good Source of: Vitamin B6, C & folate
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: