Freefrom Beetroot and Basmati Risotto
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nightshade, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
Startlingly pink but with a delicious delicate flavour.
- 3 tbsp olive oil or 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 level tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped small
- 1 head fennel sliced thinly
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, lightly bruised with a rolling pin
- sea salt
- 200g / 7oz basmati rice
- 300ml / 10fl oz coconut milk
- 600ml / 20fl oz gluten and wheat free vegetable stock
- 6–9 small beetroots, depending on size
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a wide pan and add the onions, fennel, garlic and coriander seeds.
- Fry very gently, with a pinch of salt to stop them burning, for 10–15 minutes until they are quite soft.
- Add the rice, the coconut milk and the stock, bring back to the boil and simmer for 15–20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid mainly absorbed.
- Meanwhile, halve or quarter the beetroots and steam them until just cooked – they should take about the same length of time as the rice.
- Add the beetroots to the rice, mix well and season to taste.
- Serve at once with a green salad.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: