Squash Top Pie
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tsp Ras El Hanout spice mix
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 vegetable stock cube (check ingredients)
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas mark 4.
- Cut the squash in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds.
- Place the halves cut side up on a tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes until the flesh is soft.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and gently cook the carrot, onion and mushrooms until starting to soften.
- Add the Ras El Hanout and cook it through for a minute.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes.
- Refill the can half way with water and add to the pan.
- Drain the chickpeas and stir them in.
- Crumble the stock cube in.
- Simmer until everything is cooked and the liquid has reduced a little.
- Scrape the flesh out of the squash into a bowl and add plenty of salt and pepper.
- Use a fork to make a smooth mash.
- Pour the vegetable mix into an oven proof dish.
- Gently place dollops of the squash mix over the vegetables and then spread out to cover the dish.
- Scatter the top with pumpkin seeds and cook for about 10 minutes until the seeds are starting to brown.
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: