Freefrom Quinoa, Okra and Courgette Risotto
Corn, egg, gluten, lactose, milk, nut, peanut, sesame, soya & wheat free
A delicious 'risotto' that you can eat on its own as a vegetarian main dish or serve with a meat or fish dish.
Serves 4-6 depending on whether it is served as a main dish or a vegetable
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g / 4oz fresh okra, topped and tailed and cut into thinnish rounds
- 1 medium green chilli
(optional), deseeded and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 medium size courgettes, wiped and grated thickly
- 200g /7 oz quinoa grains
- 200ml / 7floz dry white wine
- 450ml / 15floz water
- sea salt or mineral salt
- chopped fresh parsley, coriander or chives to decorate (optional)
- Heat the oil in a wide pan and add the okra and chilli – fry briskly for a few minutes without burning.
- Add the grated courgettes, lower the heat, cover and cook gently for 10 minute or until the courgettes has wilted.
- Add the quinoa with the wine and water and a sprinkling of sea or mineral salt.
- Continue to simmer gently, uncovered, for 20–25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked but still slightly crunchy and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add a little extra liquid if it dries up before the quinoa is cooked.
- Cover the pan and allow to 'rest' for a further 10–15 minutes then adjust the seasoning to taste before serving.
Serves 4 – per portion:
6g Fat ( 0.8g Sat fat, 3g mono, 1g poly)
20g Carbohydrate of which 3g Sugar
1g Fibre, 23mg Sodium, 0.06g salt
Good Source: Mg, B6
We have over 800 delicious freefrom recipes on this site all of which are gluten free, most of which are dairy and lactose free and many of which are free of most other allergens. Please go to the following sections to try them out: